Friday, February 25, 2011

"Crazy Love" Compelling Thoughts from Chapter 1

For the last couple of weeks now, we have been discussing a book called "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan with our beloved "Group 38". I'd heard of the book and been meaning to read it for the last handful of years... What a thought provoking adventure so far!

Anyways, kind of a re-curring theme lately especially in our culture, there is one particular concept that I really feel led to hone in on. Well, let me pre-cede that with this: In the first chapter [partucularly] of the book Chan gives his best human effort to try and draw a picture for you of who God really is.... his omnipotence, his massiveness, his absolute eternal and timeless existance. To get a glimpse (when you have 17mins) check out the 2 videos @ www.crazylovebook.com : "Awe Factor"[2min] "Just Stop and Think" [15min]

A quote from the book:
A lot of people say that whatever you believe about God is fine, so long as you are sincere. But that is comarable to describing your friend in one instance as a 300lb sumo wrestler and in another as a 5'2" 90lb gymnast. No matter how sincere you are in your explanations, both descriptions of your friend simply cannot be true


This concept points me to ponder a very false belief that has infected our society. Does this one sound familiar?
"I am a good person, I don't have anything to worry about, I believe that as long as I am generally good, nice to people and give to charity, I should have no problem getting into heaven"


The truth my friends is this: Us HUMANS don't get to set the standards. God does, He has made the standards very clear and if you live in the US you are extremely priveleged to have access. All you have to do is go to the book store, library, or stay home and turn on your computer. What are you searching for?

My husband re-tweeted a priceless piece of wisdom from one of our previous pastor's this morning: "If you have given up on seeking God, don't blame Him that you have also ceased to find Him." But let me add to that... If you've given up on seeking God, you've given up on the most envigorating, exciting, unpredictable, compelling and fulfilling adventure of your life! From this view: things make sense, have a purpose, change lives and shape the future more than money, or power ever could.

I don't condemn anyone for having that weak point of view I highlighted above I just want you to have more purpose, hope, and flavor in your life!

Let me leave you with 2 thoughts:

Saying that just being a good person will get you into heaven is basically saying that Jesus died in vain. (Wait, don't roll your eyes, even the world's most "intelligent" Athiests don't deny Jesus, his innocence, OR His death. They only dispute his resurrection and His origin. Again, everything you need to know is acccessable)

The second thought is a piece of scripture to ponder:
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demon's believe that - and shudder. -James 2:19

The Gospel is not about condemnation or guilt. But the very truth of it should compell you to thirst for more... So Relax, enjoy the ride, and always check your sources :)
(see Luke 13:24)