Monday, November 17, 2008

If our Election really was about race... how would we be able to measure how far we've really come??

I write today with a heavy issue presented to me. Someone close to me is deeply concerned that Racism is still a very prevailant issue we face here in America today. And that was one of the greatest victories made on November 4th. It saddens me to think that ANYONE would vote to put someone in the MOST POWERFUL Political seat in the world simply because of their race. [Black or White period!] The election for the president of the United States of America is a great Blessing that we all get to participate in. It is about experience, morality, and policy… let’s not belittle this event or the people of this great nation to physical characteristics. While I tend to agree that racism is still a problem, I think we need to look at the issue with a well rounded perspective.

Here are a couple definitions I found on-line of Racism… (And yes I did copy and paste the ones that conform to MY view of racism and how it affects America today, and the point I will attempt to make. I am aware that there are other definitions, I will address that in a minute)

Racism:
is power plus racial prejudice, a system that leads to the oppression of or discrimination against, specific racial or ethnic groups

Racism:
is racial and cultural prejudice and discrimination, supported intentionally or unintentionally by institutional power and authority, used to the advantage of one race and the disadvantage of other races. The critical element that differentiates racism from prejudice and discrimination is the use of institutional power and authority to support prejudices and enforce discriminatory behaviors in systemic ways with far-reaching outcomes and effects

Racism:
refers to beliefs and practices that assume inherent and significant differences exist between the genetics of various groups of human beings; that assume these differences can be measured on a scale of "superior" to "inferior"; and that result in the social, political and economic advantage of one group in relation to others.


Now a couple questions to mull over…
1. PREVIOUS to affirmative action were minorities, subject to [or products of] any or all of these 3 definitions? (my answer is yes)
2. What is the result of Equal opportunity Employment? (ie is the opportunity really equal when specific precentage of minorities are required?)
3. Are there government college grants available to you because of your heritage? Yes
4. Are ANY race-specific groups excluded from that? Yes, one

Now politically speaking: yes racism is still a problem in America today. The question is who is at a legal disadvantage? How can you call it Equal opportunity if it’s not an equal opportunity?

As for the other more traditional definitions of Racism where one group thinks they are superior to another because of physical features or skin color. I will make it known very publically that I think any such thinking is despicable and inhuman. Does THAT type of racism still exist in America today? Yes it does, it’s called hatred and it comes from the enemy. It exists all over the world; that type of thinking is ignorant and nasty. It’s everywhere… but it can be found in many forms: black to white, white to black, muslim to jew, atheist to Christian, Chinese to Korean.

Let’s be careful not to mix the two.

I believe that this type of thinking is not tolerated publically or legally in the United States. (Praise God) There will always be hateful people and hate groups. That’s why we need to teach our children and each other to love and care for one another as we are commanded to do.

I invite all comments, I have no problem being told I am wrong, please share your views.

Visit KustomKate.com

1 comment:

Bethany Patrice said...

great thoughts Katie. I was actually very impressed with several of my Italian family members that have been known to view other races as less than equal, and they actually voted for Mr. Obama. The certainly overcame their racial tendencies and voted for who they thought was the best man for the job. I think we've made progress in this area.