Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Latest Saga

I probably shouldn't even discuss the situation... because in some ways I feel like it reflects on me as either oblivious, or a bad house-keeper. However, most of my two readers are either on twitter or facebook and know anyways, so I would like to share a part of the story. I have no idea how my indoor cats got fleas for the first time in their 10yr life, in a house with carpeting that no one has ever lived on before us... but they did.
Anyways THEY have been treated and will continue to be. I have stripped every pillow and mattress down to the bones, and vaccumed and laundered. They can't go in the bedrooms now because I will be doing laundry like it's my job for a month 'til the problem iis completely handled.
Mike was kind and picked up the carpet powder however I read the container and absolutely NOT comfortable using it. It is a pesticide, there is a great chance for sickness [us or cats] or death [cats], (I've been googling) especially after losing my father to a disease most likely caused by environmental toxins, and being a painter for 10 years... I have had enough chemicals... especially if I want this body to house a baby someday!
So I did some research... the vet did not even reccomend anything but vaccum often... she also said that soap and water will kill fleas... that is a fact. So google articles I found recomend sprinkle salt on carpet and vaccum up 24 hrs later. I think I will do that and then rent the carpet cleaner and soap the carpets in a couple days too. It sounds safe and effective... however I am open to any other safe and natural options.

As a side note, my meeting at panera went well today.... I met a couple business owners with unique skills and services to offer as they thought of some great referrals for me! We'll see... just keep pluggin :)
Visit KustomKate.com

4 comments:

Bethany Patrice said...

Katie!!! I feel so bad for you! I remember how I felt when the ant invasion happened. I tried to treat it myself, but ended up hiring an exterminator. It was $120 and worth it. I haven't seen an ant since. Do exterminator's do fleas as well? I know it may be a bit expensive. I pray for extra grace and strength for you during the next month.

Katie said...

Thank you Bethany.. I was going to call and ask... good idea! Thanks for the prayers!

aM <3 said...

"I want this body to house a baby someday!"
BABY!!! lol

i am so sorry!!
Last year my family got mits, and it was HORRIBLE!!
we had to bomb the house three times my an exterminator, twice ourselves, we used i can't even remember how many cans of raid, and so much more.
every time we did this the people told us to open our windows, so we did. after...four months of this we found out that the mits were coming in from outside. The type of mits we got were from landscaping people, and we don't have landscapers mow our lawn(i do it) but our neighbor does and thats how we got them. so every time we bombed the house and opened the windows we would let them back. It was a nightmare!!!

but one you can actaully see your critters we can't!! and you seemed to have caught it early!! We didn't! I will be praying for you! :)

Katie said...

Yes.. suprise suprise.. I'd like to have a family :)
Sorry about the mits... that sounds bad :( Glad you finally got rid of them!!
Thanks for the prayers... I am hoping things are getting under control now