Wednesday, November 28, 2007

One frown can turn you upside down...

I was at Wal-mart yesterday tie-ing up some Christmas Shopping Odds and ends, and I had an experience. I was in the pencil and eraser aisle picking out some wacky pencils to add to a couple of my neice's Christmas packages. When I was finished with my selection I moved on... at the end of the aisle was a middle-aged woman re-stocking some Items. A gentleman came up and asked where the pencils were, I don't know why but I found "Oh they're right down here" coming out of my mouth. Probably because I was just there, and was simply trying to be helpful.
However the woman that actually worked there gave me the nastiest glare I had seen in a while...and my heart sank, I didn't get it. Did she think I was trying to steal her job? I know I wasn't the one being addressed by the gentleman, but I certainly wasn't trying to offend anyone! ARGH! I was so hurt and even kind of angry! Amazing how quickly my emotions went from full of peace and relaxed to upset and hurt!
So anyway, I continued on still feeling those icky feelings and I remembered what Pastor Flattery said on Sunday.... we can choose to be offended or shake it off! Which I was trying to do.
It just helps me to realize... or re-solidify how much everything we do or say.. or the gestures that we make.... How much the smallest things can impact another person. I will do my best not to frown at anyone... not even a stranger!

1 comment:

Bethany Patrice said...

you know you always wanted to work at Walmart!!!

On a more serious note,I'm glad you overlooked the "nasty glare", and went on with you day!

It seems that some little Walmart employee may be getting coal in her stocking!