Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Something to chew on...

A friend of mind gifted me with a book yesterday. I would like to share with you the first reading. I believe I will let this soak in throughout the day...

Ads and marketing people will tell you that you are your stuff. You are what you drive. You are what you wear. You are the number on the bottom of your bank statement.

Your conscience will tell you that you are your past. You are the sum of your choices, many of them wrong ones with difficult consequences.

Your mind will tell you that you are your fears. You are the sum of your worries about the future and if you just think about it enough, surely you can figure it you and short-circut the impending disaster.

But Jesus said that real life is none of these things

You are not your stuff

You are not your past

You are not your fears.

You are someone He loves unconditionally, someone He sacrificed His own life for, someone who matters very much to Him and to the people in your scope of influence. No matter what you have or don't have, no matter what unknowns stretch out before you, you can know this: God loves you so much and He longs to make Himself at home in your life.
Will you let Him?

When you experience his love and forgiveness, you will begin to understand what it mens to be a person sho has nothing to lose, nothing to prove, and nothing to hide.
That's real fredom.
That's real life.

-Women of Faith, "Fancy Free"
-Anita Renfroe "The Purpose Driven Life"

I can be told every day how much God loves me. Somedays it feels so good. Some days I just can't grasp it no matter how much I want to. Today, when I read this I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders. The way it is phrased and the context in this reading really spoke to me so I thought I'd share.

2 comments:

Bethany Patrice said...

I really like that. I get caught up in the trap of finding identity in stuff, past choices, and fears..this is good for me to hear.

Mike Stenglein said...

As you know, I still struggle with past transgressions. I find it hard to remember that if Jesus can forgive me, who am I to disagree.