Tuesday, August 19, 2008

This Could be considered Part III

I would have to say that the beginning of my journey was ingrained with 3 specific lessons that changed my life:
1. God Loves Me and Everyone Else in this world more than each of us can fathom. That’s what drew me into this walk.
2. During our time at CUMC, I talked about how Pastor Mary always reminded us that God is good. That means that he does not desire to condemn or destroy you. He wants to shed his mercy and grace on you and forgive you for whatever is causing your pain.
3. Third and probably one of the most powerful and life changing little pieces of wisdom I could ever share with anyone. Give it to God.
At the time we started attending church and clearing the brush out of our path, I mentioned that we were on a super tight budget. We were also experiencing inter family relationships that were close to destroying our marriage. And there was more, but just between those 2 things I know I was feeling plenty desperate.
One Sunday Pastor Mary talked on “Giving it to God”, meaning your worries, hurts, afflictions, addictions, anything that is weighing you down. And I couldn’t help but thinking, why would I give it to God? He already took the sins of the world on his shoulders, why would I throw more at him “I can handle this”. And I’d have to say I still feel that way sometimes, “I got myself into this mess, it’s my responsibility to get myself out”. However friends, something we must never lose perspective on… God is greater than anything and everything. And God is going to triumph over the enemy every time, just ask him to intervene.
“Call your anxiety on him because he cares for you” 1Peter 5:7
The first thing I “gave to God” was the bitterness that I was harboring against a couple people that had hurt my feelings. Bitterness was not a common problem for me, but one event in my life allowed it to take root, and it was all consuming. So if you are holding your forgiveness back from any one or anything, including yourself, PLEASE let go of it and let God take care of it. I had let that bitterness take control for almost a year and it affected my health, my marriage and it invaded my thoughts. (That was definitely the devil hard at work… and he was winning)
I asked God to intervene and almost immediately I finally felt relief. I felt 15 lbs lighter, the battle was over. I was and still am so thankful. My health began to improve too.
Another worry that we Gave to God at this time was finances. We began to tithe, often doubling our weekly offering (we started very low) on a regular basis. God just continued to bless us, soon, there was no money stress, and we were tithing at least 10% of our income and giving to local shelters and relief efforts too. Giving to God is a way of showing your trust and faithfulness to him. He honors that and always provides for those who show this faithfulness.
“And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.”
Philippians 4:19
I share these lessons I have learned from my heart to yours. These are not just things that I have heard on Sunday morning and feel obligated to repeat. These are real things that happened to me in the worst and darkest moments of my life. I was lifted up and now have direction. This direction gives me strength to look the next mountain straight on and know that I have the power of the Creator of the Universe standing behind me.
I have begun to fight another battle, a burden that I never before Gave to God and it is time. Pray for me as I sweep the dirt out of another corner of my life.

1 comment:

Bethany Patrice said...

erik and I love these posts.