Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Prayers and Health Awareness...

I don't know about everyone else lately... but it seems as though lately almost everyday I am hearing about another person suffering... Pancreatic cancer, brain tumors, broken bones, lung cancer, ovarian sists (my 15 yr old cousin), surgeries, loss... it just seems like something else everyday... so as my prayer list keeps growing, please let me know if there is someone heavy on your heart that I can include.
On that same note... I thought I'd share some health related thoughts... about 7-8 years ago I became aware of the world of natural health... It's interesting really it's something that you really have to pursue yourself... it's not really a first resort for most (almost all doctors)... they like the kick-backs from the drug companies (imo).
One thing I really got to thinking about over this past week of so is how there seems to be so much bad news lately and wondering how much that realtes to the change in culture and diet over the past 60 years... here are some of my thoughts... I am not a doctor... so don't sue me....
Anyway... here goes... in the 50's or so... people did not expose themselves to nearly as many chemicals as they have progressively over the past 60 years or so...
nutra sweer, aspertame (diet coke), hair dye ( a correlation has been found with hair dye and ovarian cancer), cleaning solvents and fertilizers (correlations have been found with pancreatic cancer)... our grandma's used vinegar to wash their floors, fake hormones... I am very passionate about this one... in the 60's when birth control hit big everyone started taking it... notice a correlation with the women of that generation and breast cancer cases?.. research has been done on this one... this is not just my opinion...!, take a look at the next packaged snack you eat... red dye 40... found in doritos twizzlers etc. has been found to have a correlation with ADD... yikes!, some even say that when drinking bottled water you ingest small amounts of petroleum... not good!
I know that this stuff can make me sound a bit paranoyed... but I really do think we need to be more aware of the chemicals we expose ourselves to... anything that touches your skin goes into your bloodstream... and the food we eat is something to watch too! The sad thing is even most of our vgetables have been sprayed with some sort of pesticide.
I know it's tough because it's everywhere... but we need to be more aware... there are always alternative options... I feel like we need to get back to the basics! Maybe making healthier decisions and raising awareness will help us to hear a lot less bad news!

2 comments:

Mike Stenglein said...

I think that a healthy mix of both is good. When you forsake a single track of thought...you lose the benefits of any other. I can vouch for some natural therapies, but I don't think that I would wave off a doctor simply because those worked.

Bethany Patrice said...

erik can eat his weight in doritos...now I know why he never pays attention when I talk! :)

Seriously though, this is a good reminder to be cautious of what we put in our body. I wish I didn't love diet coke, or dye my hair so often!