Thursday, April 10, 2008

Weigh in... healty habit or unhealthy obsession?

I have never bought a scale, never intended to. But, I have to admit... when go to someone elses house and there's a scale in the bathroom, I usually hop on. I mean it's right there staring you in the face when you're sitting on the toilet. I always try to be quiet though... Since I never had one, I didn't know if there was some kind of scale etiquette where you're not supposed to use other people's scales? So I try not to make any noise. Pretty silly I guess
Anyways... since I've been here at my mom's, the bathroom I have been showering in happens to be the one with the scale... so I have been guilt free weighing myself everyday.... The direct result is no guilt free cookies and chocolate. Which is probably a good thing!
My intention before coming was... eat healthy and work out every day! Well, the day I came I went to this GREAT store called Sprouts... probably my FAVORITE grocery store! And bought a TON of produce! Maybe a little less than 2000lbs, but you get the picture... and a small container of "brownie bites" I couldn't help myself! And we have been eating very healthy.. I get up and do the work out on the ball and do a swim in the afternoon.
Every time I hop on that scale it says the same thing... so I start making excuses... well, my clothes have got to weigh 7-8 pounds... really more like 1.5-2 or if I don't have clothes on it's like "well i've had like 2 cups of coffee... that's GOTTA weigh like 6 pounds".
Okay.. so I see how having a scale could be a good tool to keeping you in line... but I can also see how it can become an unhealthy obsession... what do you think?
Also WHAT IS SCALE ETIQUETTE? Is there any?

2 comments:

Bethany Patrice said...

I heard that you are only supposed to weigh yourself once a week and it should be first thing in the morning. I stayed the night at my sisters the other day and used her scale...I tried putting it back in the exact same spot..that's good etiquette :) I just try to tell by how my pants fit around my waist. Coffee does weigh like 7 lbs and clothes are at least 5...that's what I tell myself too!

Mike Stenglein said...

Healthy habit as long as you don't obsess about it. I would not mind having one...might get my rear in gear to get in shape.
On etiquette: It is bad form to smash someone else's scale with a hammer.
They tend to get mad.
I'm just saying...